Me and My Safety Net: Safety Planning for Children and Young People
‘My Safety Plan’ has been designed to support children and young people with negotiating big emotions and feelings. This is the perfect plan to create alongside the child or young person so they know what to do if they are ever at personal risk, such as wanting to hurt themselves or feeling down.
How could this resource be used?
- To support emotional regulation and personal safety.
- To support emotional literacy.
- To support self-regulation.
- To support a child 1:1.
Which statutory England PSHE curriculum* objectives does this resource fall into?
*in line with the PSHE Association 2021 Statutory Guidance.
- KS1: H18 – different things they can do to manage big feelings, to help calm themselves down and/or change their mood when they don’t feel good.
- KS1: H19 – to recognise when they need help with feelings; that it is important to ask for help with feelings; and how to ask for it.
- KS2: H20 – strategies to respond to feelings, including intense or conflicting feelings; how to manage and respond to feelings appropriately and proportionately in different situations.
- KS2: H21 – to recognise warning signs about mental health and wellbeing and how to seek support for themselves and others.
Scottish Health and Wellbeing Curriculum Outcome: Mental and Emotional Wellbeing
- I am learning skills and strategies which will support me in challenging times, particularly in relation to change and loss.
- I understand the importance of mental wellbeing and that this can be fostered and strengthened through personal coping skills and positive relationships. I know that it is not always possible to enjoy good mental health and that if this happens there is support available.
Share this resource:
Request a Resource
Want to request or suggest a resource? Pop us a message below and we will see what we can do. We are not able to respond directly to all requests but be rest assured, we are reading them and constantly updating the resource bank accordingly to all your fabulous ideas!